Sunday, May 31, 2009

Memorial Day!

I was reading my friend Natalie's blog and she had a great idea to post memories of grandparents that had passed away for a memorial day post. I love the idea so here it goes!

Grandma Hawks: She always made us eat all of our dinner, since Al and Hill were picky eaters they always had to sit at the table until they finished their meal. I never had to do that. It probably shows now! She was a lunch lady and knew the secret recipe of how to make lunch lady style peanut butter bars.

Grandpa Casey: He had such a bad back that he walked practically bent in half, but he always worked out in his yard. When he wasn't in his yard he was sitting in his rocking chair. I always thought it was funny that he and my grandma had separate bedrooms.

Grandpa Carter: I loved to visit him at the grocery store he worked at because he always bought us doughnuts. We would sleep over at his house and he would tell us the story of Farmer McGregor and Peter Cottontail in bed. He also loved to sing "starkle starkle little twink, who the heck are you I think" instead of twinkle twinkle. I think I loved it the most that he didn't think damn and hell were swears and liked to combine them to say "dammit to hell!"

Grandma Hazel: She lost her husband when she was in her thirties and never remarried. She was 108 when she died (she lived in 3 centuries!) and she was always really short, like under 5 foot. I think I out grew her by the time I was in 4th grade. She had the most amazing collection of salt and pepper shakers.

I really liked remembering these special people. Sorry if the post was long and boring!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh, I hope you have the peanut butter bar recipe! : ) Gotta love "dammit to hell!" I've heard that a bit in my day too! So jealous that you've got a fun summer ahead!!

Natty said...

Cyd, what fun memories! Your grandparents sound like they were fun people. I like the new version of "twinkle twinkle."